Friday, September 08, 2006


Ry Cooder's song, "Cancion Mixteca" is a very pretty song. I only understand maybe 5 words of the whole thing; "triste" (means sad). Why do I bring this up? Well, for starters, I'm listening to it right now, and I find myself connecting with music of the more depressing variety while I paint. I don't think my paintings are sad, though. They used to be a whole lot darker (both literally and figuratively) than they are now. Maybe I'm a happier person. Maybe I took a friend's advice and lightened my palette up a bit to paint "happier". Maybe it's a bit of both. It still doesn't change the fact that I gravitate towards the music that my father would say, "really makes you want to cry in your beer".

This is acrylic on a 5x7 particle board. 70 bucks gives it a new home.

I really like this song.

No comments: