Thursday, May 21, 2009


"Spontaneous Structure"
36" x 48" triptych
Mixed media on stretched canvas
SOLD



Wow, it's been a long haul on this piece. At least, it seems that way. For the longest time, I had been stumped, looking for the movement in this painting. I had most of the pieces in place, and yet, it was still missing something. Now that it's finished, I feel like I was wrong. I thought it was lacking movement, when all along, the movement was there, but not the structure. It needed polarity. And polarity is a word I think of when I think of the client for this commissioned piece. The client is very structured in his work ethic and linear thought. He's a very smart guy. That said, he also has the ability to be silly, playful and very spontaneous. I don't know if I was able to capture that in this piece, but I sure as hell tried.

I used two different kinds of gauze, jute, and copper leaf. The piece is to be hung in the client's dining room and surrounded by neutral colors, so I really wanted to the piece to have a lot of texture to jump off the wall, and layers to pull the viewers closer.

10 comments:

aartilla the fun said...

i think you accomplished your goal -- i love the almost whimsical splashes of white, and then the hint of structure with the squares. cooooool!

Jeff Bowser said...

Thanks, Aarti! xo

Anonymous said...

Wonderful - I am sure your client will be very proud of their new artwork.

Jeff Bowser said...

Thank you, Cath. I showed it to them yesterday, and they like it. (wiping my brow) Whew!

Anonymous said...

i really love the colors! and as usual, feel like it's almost a barn door or a door to the past and if i push on them they'll swing open...cool!

~Babs said...

Hi Jeff, I wondered how you're doing,,,and I can see just fine!
It's a beautiful piece,,
the new owners will love living with it, no doubt!

Jo said...

I don't know you but I ran into your painting by accident. I love it, it is truly amazing.
How much you sold this one for if you don't mind me asking? me and my husband love art and I really like what you do.

Office Furniture said...

Excellent work. I really like your painting colors.
School Furniture

Office Furniture said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Artwired said...

I think you definitely found what you were looking for in this piece. I love the structure working with that organic, moody background. Very nice job!