Tuesday, April 01, 2008




"Two Halves of One"
24" x 48"
Acrylic on stretched canvas

Another piece for the show.  I'm painting larger these days, and so it takes longer to finish them.  

While photographing this piece it occurred to me that I should be taking more time while I paint to back away from the painting and view it that way.  I think I spend too much time up close 'n personal with the pieces.  I used to walk away from my paintings.  Maybe it's because the studio is small.  I don't know.


2 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Painting larger is fun but I don't understand why size in an abstract would cause a more lengthy painting time. If there isn't space to mix up several bowls of color before painting it might take a little longer but not take days.
i do like the idea of spending a longer time on a piece to give it time to incubate between work sessions.

Arco Scheepen said...

Space could very well be the key here. The room that I paint in is very small. Stepping back to look at a painting is not really an option. This causes me to keep working with small sizes. I little trick I do use sometimes is go back as far as I can, turn 180 degrees and look over my shoulder with a mirror. Doubles the distance, and presents you with a mirror image. This last 'trick' is also often used to check out composition and balance, because you won't directly 'recognize' the painting.
Arco